I have been thinking about this corridor as I regularly walk, catch a bus and drive up and down it. I think the time has come for a radical approach to the whole corridor. Moseley is currently working on its local plan but what is needed and has been discussed is a wider vision linking communities along the A435
I would suggest this should involve
- The whole of the A435 down to Digbeth and neighbouring roads being 20mph zones ( with the possible exception of the middle ring road)
- Dedicated cycle lanes along the main road taking existing road space if no other space permits
- Traffic calming/ shared space schemes for the main shopping centres along the route and for parts of Digbeth
- The complete reworking of Digbeth (the road) to turn it into a boulevard with planting, removal of traffic barriers, traffic calming
- The enforcement and extension of existing bus lanes where practical
- A political commitment from the Council to push for the opening of the rail route including a commitment to borrow if necessary to fund it.
- To hold a meeting with the Community to discuss alternative funding ideas for these works
- To support community incubators like The Old Printworks and Moseley Exchange in building the economy and explore other such proposals
- A day time HGV ban
These are just a few ideas which will lead to a better economy, a healthier and more environmentally friendly corridor. What are your ideas?